Wednesday, November 05, 2008

President Obama!


Obama poster by Shepard Fairey.

Barack Obama has won a historic victory in becoming the first black president of the United States.

I have been impressed with the calm, measured and quiet authoritativeness he's display in the course of the campaign.

I - and many many with me - have big hopes of a fundamental change in US policy abroad and at home with a stabilizing effect on the financial crisis, global warming and the humanitarian and security mess that is the Middle East (something that of course also has a massive impact on the rest of the world).

I can only hope that the intention is there and at least some of these will be fulfilled. In his speech Barack Obama said "change has come to America". Please let change and progress come!

I have just listened to John McCain's concession speech and I must say it's the most generous, uniting and honourable one I've heard - I have a new-found respect for him.

Full cover of the US election here for example.

No comments: